My Lai Massacre survivors remember horrific tragedy

It’s been 51 years since former US Army photographer Ronald L Haeberle documented the tragic Mỹ Lai Massacre on March 16, 1968, when 504 unarmed villagers – 182 women, and 173 children and infants –

in the centre of now Tinh Khe Commune, in Son Tinh District, were killed by soldiers of Charlie Company, under the command of Lieutenant Willam Calley Jr.

Two children on a trail between rice fields that were photographed by Haeberle were later identified as survivors of the massacre.

Tran Van Duc, 58, returned to Mỹ Lai Village – where his mother and sister were buried in a mass grave of 75 villagers killed by American troops in a massacre in 1968 – earlier this year during a visit back to Vietnam.

My Lai memorial sends message of peace
Park built in memory of My Lai massacre in Quang Ngai
Survivor writes book on My Lai massacre

My Lai Massacre survivors remember horrific tragedy
BONDED BY TRAGEDY: Former US Army photographer Ronald L. Haeberle (first left) poses for a photo with Trần Van Duc (first right) and his sisters Tran Thi Ha (second left) and Tran Thi My - three survivors of the My Lai massacre. Photo courtesy of Tran Van Duc


Duc, a Vietnamese-German-Vietnamese national, and his two sisters Tran Thi My and Tran Thi Ha were among the few to survive the bloody massacre.

US Army photographer Ronald L Haeberle took an iconic and haunting photo of Duc and his younger sister Ha amidst the carnage, but it took a decade for the pair to be identified.

My Lai Massacre survivors remember horrific tragedy
ICONIC: Photos of a helicopter and two survivors of the Mỹ Lai massacre taken by Ronald L. Haeberle. The two survivors - Tran Van Duc and and his sister Tran Thi Ha - are still alive. Photo courtesy of Ronald L. Haeberle


Haeberle and Duc first met at the former's house in Ohio, the US in 2011 – where the American photographer presented Duc the Nikon camera he used to capture the massacre.

Duc recalled the morning 51 years ago when his mother Nguyen Thi Tau, eldest sister Tran Thi Hong, 11, nine-year-old My, five-year-old sister Tran Thi Hue and 14-month old Ha were preparing for breakfast when the carnage began in Tu Cung Hamlet.

“The village was woken up by helicopters and close range gunfire, and my family left our breakfast. My mother rushed to pack belongings and money. She urged us to get away from home,” Duc recalled.

“I was told to carry a money package on my thigh, but I refused as it was uncomfortable. My sister My took it before we rushed out for shelter. All villagers ran out for tunnels – which were dug in household gardens as covering for bombardments – but they were forced to exit the tunnels by American soldiers,” he said.

My Lai Massacre survivors remember horrific tragedy
SAD ANNIVERSARY: Former US Army photographer Ronald L. Haeberle (2nd left) shakes hands with former Vietnam President Truong Tan Sang (4th right) and Deputy Prime Minister Truong Hoa Binh (3rd right) on the occassion of 50th anniversary of the My Lai massacre in Son Tinh District of Quang Ngai Province last year. VNS Photo Cong Thanh


Duc, who was then seven, remembers that his mother took him and baby Ha in her arms to hide behind a hedge, but an American soldier spotted them.

All the villagers then gathered in a group by American soldiers. Machine gunfire began hitting the crowd, killing many people before they could even flee into the rice fields.

“My mother fell down to cover me and Ha. She was injured in her thigh, while deafening gunfire kept us on the ground. The gunshots ceased for a moment and my mother pushed Hà to me and said: ‘Take Ha to grandmother, quick',” he recalled.

“I could see my mother while fleeing along the edge of the paddy field to avoid gunfire. A bullet hit Ha and caused an injury, but we kept running along the edge of the field as the high rice helped cover us.”

Duc said the two got 300m from home before a helicopter swooped down in front of them, flying low.

“I just lay down to cover Ha as I was afraid of gunfire launch from the helicopter. However, the helicopter then lifted up and left us. I could clearly see an image of a shark painted on the helicopter.

"Ha was crying so much on the way to my grandmother, she was scared of the gunfire and noise from the helicopters. She fainted in my arms in the last section to my grandmother in Tinh Long Commune – 7km from my house," he said.

Tran Thi My, Duc’s older sister, recalled she was holding Huệ in the crowd when a gunshot killed the five-year-old.

“I was scared of the gunshots and killing. I left Hue and fled with a group of villagers because American soldiers came closer to shoot anyone who was still alive in the pile of corpses,” Hue said.

“I just followed the crowd running as far as I could from the gunfire. Some fled in the rice fields or on the edge of fields. I just returned to my grandmother the next day when I knew my mother and my younger sisters Hue and Hong were killed.”

Duc said the 7km trip from his house to his grandmother's was the longest journey in his life, one he had taken hundreds of times.

“Many neighbours came to help us. A doctor was called to give first aid for Ha’s injury. A bullet fragment had torn my skin on my forehead, while a tiny fragment hit Ha’s waist,” he recalled.

The three sisters and brother were then raised by their grandmother because Duc’s father, a guerrilla, was killed in 1969.

Mother’s death

Duc did not know how his mother had died in the slaughter until 2011 when he decided to search for the truth.

 

He then contacted photographer Haeberle, and told him he was the boy in his infamous photo of the massacre.

The two returned to the village later that year to confirm Đức and his sister were the two children in the photo, the older boy sheltering his sister from gunfire beside a paddy field.

Back on March 16, 1968, Haeberle carried two cameras, one assigned by the US Army with two rolls of black and white film. He returned these rolls of film to the commander of Charlie Company, but kept his own camera, with which he took 18 colour photos that were published in Life magazine, exposing the truth of the horrific massacre.

Haeberle's iconic black and white photographs become all the more visceral when seen at the My Lai Massacre Museum.

Captions like “Most were women and babies. It looked as if they tried to get away”, are redundant – as if the scene of women and babies piled up on a path needs an explanation.

“My photos of the massacre told the world the truth about what happened 50 years ago. The true story had not been told in America and the world. I just wanted to tell everyone about the massacre with my photos from the field,” Haeberle said on the 50th anniversary of the mass killing in 2018.

“I have visited the site several times since I left Vietnam in 1969,” he said.

Haeberle was convinced Duc and Ha would have died then.

“I was very surprised when I received the word that Đức and Ha were alive. At the time I assumed they were shot after I've taken the photo of the two children because of all the gunfire around me. The two children were alive when I left the area,” Haeberle told Việt Nam News via email.

“I felt a sense of happiness and relief that due to Duc's and my perseverance to correct, history was accomplished after many years of research, providing Duc with valuable material/documents to help him further his research on the photograph of the two children on a trail.

“Duc and I developed a close relationship that has grown over the years. We both had a goal to make a wrong right."

In the middle of gunfire and killing, Larry Colburn (machine gunner on helicopter), Hugh Thomson (pilot), crew chief Glenn Andreotta and Dan Millians (pilot of HU1A) rescued many villagers from the massacre on their helicopters on that day.

Duc said Colburn paid a visit to Duc’s family in Germany in July 2011.

In September 2011, Duc went to Cleveland for a nine-day visit at Haeberle's house, when he met Colburn during transit in Atlanta.

Colburn died in 2016, while Hugh Thomson passed away in 2006.

Sorrow

Duc’s mother, Nguyen Thi Tau, and his sisters Tran Thị Hồng and Tran Thi Hue were buried in a 75-victim mass grave in the village.

Duc studied a mechanical course and soon found a labour contract to work in Dresden, Germany in 1983 before moving to a textiles factory after the Berlin Wall fell in 1990.

My Lai Massacre survivors remember horrific tragedy
PAINFUL MEMORIES: My Lai massacre survivor Tran Van Duc returns to the place where more than 500 of his fellow villagers were killed by US soldiers of Charlie Charlie Company during the American War in 1968. VNS Photo Cong Thanh

 
Ha and My stayed with their grandmother until they married. Ha lived with My’s family for a long time before building her own family.

Ha is now a retired primary school teacher, while My opened a shop in Tinh Chau Commune – 4km from My Lai Village.

My Lai Massacre survivors remember horrific tragedy
PAYING RESPECT: Tran Van Duc, a survivor of the My Lai massacre in Quang Ngai Province, comes to visit a 75-victim mass grave in the place where more than 500 unarmed civilians were killed on March 16, 1968. VNS Photo Cong Thanh


Duc said his grandmother passed away in 2003 – four months after he paid a visit during her illness.

He married a woman, who was also from Son Tinh District, in Germany in 1991 and had three sons.

Duc now lives in Remscheid, Germany and still works in a textiles factory.

He often comes home to visit his family's grave.

For him, each visit is filled with sorrowful memories of his bloody childhood. VNS

Cong Thanh 

 
 
 
 
 
Leave your comment on an article

OR QUICK LOGIN