Around 50 kilometres from the centre of Hanoi, Duong Lam ancient village in the outskirt town of Son Tay is a popular tourist attraction for visitors to the capital city.
An ancient well located in the area surrounding Mong Phu communal house.
Built under the reign of King Le Than Tong (1607–1662), the village’s gate is preserved intact. Made from laterite bricks with two wooden doors, the gate stands under the shadow of an ancient banyan tree. In the olden days, it provided a resting place for villagers on their way from their houses to the field. Duong Lam village offers a typical example of the architectural structure and arts of an ancient Vietnamese village in the Red river delta region, with symbolic images of a a village gate, a communal house, a banyan tree, and a well. Visitors to the village can enjoy the tranquil and idyllic charm of the land and people here.
Sitting in the centre and on the highest land of the village is Mong Phu communal house. Covering a total area of around 1,800 square metres, the national historical and cultural relic is a prominent spot in Duong Lam’s landscape.
A church in the village. Built in 1954, the church still holds Catholic masses, attracting many local believers and visitors.
Duong Lam is also famous for the craft of making soya bean sauce, which is stored in big jars in the yards of local houses.
Taking an excursion around the village, travellers can see ancient houses hundreds of years old, which are built with laterite bricks
Thuy Nguyen/Nhan Dan