Le Dinh Cong, one of six defendants charged with “murder” over the killing of three police officers in Dong Tam commune in Hanoi’s My Duc district, asked on September 10 that his charge be changed to “resisting on-duty officers”.
At the court (Photo: VNA)
During the trial in the Hanoi People’s Court, Cong showed remorse and begged for clemency.
He continued to insist that he did not discuss the incident early on the morning of January 9 with anyone.
Cong said he had not been fully aware of the death of the policemen, but after learning about it he felt deeply remorse.
Le Dinh Chuc, who faces the same charge, extended an apology to the families of the deceased and asked for forgiveness.
Le Dinh Doanh, another defendant charged with “murder”, also displayed remorse and sought clemency.
The other defendants charged with “murder” are Bui Viet Hieu, Nguyen Quoc Tien, and Nguyen Van Tuyen. The Procuracy said the six had demonstrated a clear motive and intent to kill on-duty officers.
According to the Procuracy, the six were the masterminds of the crime and also led and directly committed criminal acts. They closely colluded with others who were key members of a so-called “group of consensus” led by Le Dinh Kinh - father of Cong and Chuc. Kinh was shot dead while holding a grenade and calling on the others to resist those on-duty.
The trial of the 29 defendants in the case began on September 7 and the jury is scheduled to issue a verdict on September 14./.VNA
The People’s Procuracy of Hanoi on September 9 presented accusations against 29 defendants in the extremely serious case that happened in Dong Tam commune of Hanoi’s My Duc district earlier this year.
Four defendants charged with resisting on-duty officers in the police murder case in Dong Tam commune of Hanoi’s My Duc district admitted to being guilty during questioning at court on September 8.