Public security ministry discloses details in violent Dong Tam incident

The public security ministry on Tuesday shed light on the circumstances surrounding the violent confrontation in Dong Tam Commune on the outskirts of Hanoi that left three police officers and one protester dead in the early morning of January 9.

Public security ministry discloses details in violent Dong Tam incident
Public security officers secure the scene on January 9. — VNA/VNS Photo

The protests revolved around the land area that was supposed to be reserved for Miếu Môn military airport project back in 1980, but the plan fizzled out and negligence in local authorities’ land management led to residents settling on the land over the following decades.

In 2014, when the Government wanted to reclaim the land – including 46ha of Dong Tam Commune – for military-run group Viettel to use for defence purposes, people there demanded clarification over where the defence land ends and where farmland begins.

Later in 2016, the tension became more heated up as land clearance commenced and four locals were arrested for disturbing public order in April 2017.

The arrests further fuelled the protests, then becoming more revolved around 82-year-old Le Dinh Kinh, himself a Party member and former official, as well as a respected spiritual leader for the community and the protesters.

He later formed the so-called ‘consensus group’ – a hard-core group of protesters that resisted Government efforts to relocate, even though many households had already acquiesced to relocation.

Deputy Minister of Public Security Lieutenant General Lương Tam Quang, during a meeting with the press on Tuesday, said that the situation in Dong Tam worsened after the Government Inspectorate announced in their findings last year that all disputed land was for military purposes.

In early November 2019, the People’s Committee of Mỹ Đức District paid compensation to 14 households who had to move for the airport project. All 14 households agreed to move from the area in question, but members of the ‘consensus group’ exerted pressure to keep the households from relocating, even when the members did not have any claim to the land.

When the Government Inspectorate held a meeting with local residents to announce the results of the review on November 25, 2019, the ‘consensus group’ prevented residents from attending the event, caused disorder at the communal People’s Committee headquarters, and threatened those who spoke in support of the Government Inspectorate’s conclusion.

After the dialogue, the group of protesters prepared weapons, made plans to kidnap officials and set fire to the People’s Committee headquarters and the petrol station in Dong Tam Commune in order to attract attention to their cause.

Alerted to their intentions, the Hanoi police prepared measures to ensure security and social order, which were approved by the Hanoi People’s Committee and the Ministry of Public Security.

On December 31, 2019, the Defence Ministry started the construction of barrier walls around the planned section of Miếu Môn airport in three communes of My Duc and Chuong My Districts. The construction was met with opposition from extremists in Hoanh Village of Dong Tam Commune.

To deal with the situation, Hanoi police coordinated with the Ministry of Public Security to set up positions to ensure safety for the communal People’s Committee headquarters and officials of the commune as well as other important areas.

“We didn’t enter the village to carry out arrests. There was no arrest warrant at the time, even though we were aware of their extremist nature, the public security force merely tried to uphold utmost security in all circumstances,” Quang said.

According to Deputy Minister Quang, when the public security force was setting up posts at the entrance of Hoành Village, around 20 persons attacked officers using grenades, petrol bombs and other weapons, and this is when the situation started to deteriorate.

The public security force at first tried to appeal for calm via loudspeakers, telling them to stop “going over the limit”.

The offenders refused to halt their attacks. They later withdrew into adjacent houses belonging to Le Dinh Kinh, his son Le Dinh Chuc and relative Le Dinh Hoi, and barricaded themselves in the property. They launched projectiles at the public security force from these locations.

The officers stormed the residence to arrest the attackers, and during the process, three officers – leader Colonel Nguyen Huy Thinh and two of his subordinates Captain Pham Cong Huy and Senior Lieutenant Duong Duc Hoang Quan – fell into a 4m-deep hole behind Chuc and Hoi’s house.

 

Kinh's grandson Le Dinh Doanh and son Le Dinh Chuc poured petrol and threw petrol bombs into the hole and set it on fire, killing the officers, according to the initial testimonies from the two men.

An arrested person of interest told the police that Kinh said that the killing of these three police officers would certainly “cause them to withdraw”, referring to the rest of the public security force.

However, social media claims of protesters laying spikes and broken ceramics at the bottom of the hole in advance were “untrue”, Quang said.

The situation called for opening fire, Deputy Minister Quang said, adding that after half an hour, the public security force arrested more than 30 people and seized weapons and explosives at the scene. During the arrests, Le Dinh Kình was killed and his son Le Dinh Chuc was injured, Quang said, adding that when officers entered his house, Kinh was still holding a grenade in his hand.

Based on collected evidence, Hanoi police issued a decision on Monday to start legal proceedings against 22 people involved in the fatal incident in Dong Tam on charges of murder, resisting officials in the line of duty and illegally storing weapons.

Quang said that the evidence showed that some hostile organisations and elements – both domestic and foreign – have provided support and guidance for the so-called ‘consensus group’ in making petrol bombs and buying materials to make weapons.

Some people, who proclaimed themselves representatives of people in Dong Tam Commune, raised money, with half of the donations going to Kinh and his family members – members of the hard-core resistance group.

Deputy Minister Quang affirmed that the disturbance happened when the functional forces were building protective walls around the airport.

Responding to criticism from certain groups of academics and legal experts that this form of coercion conducted so close to Tet (Lunar New Year) – Vietnam’s most important holiday and festival – is not appropriate, Quang stressed that this is not a case of forced reclamation of land, as the 14 households directly involved have already agreed to receive compensation and return the military land they lived on for years to the Government and defence ministry.

The use of force is "part of the efforts to build barrier walls and maintain security for the military airport,” he said.

Regarding questions concerning the deployment of forces at such an early hour, Quang said this is an unavoidable recourse that is totally in line with the law in order to suppress the violations and capture the offenders.

The Ministry of Public Security held a ceremony on Tuesday to call on the entire public security force to follow the brave example set by the three officers who died in the line of duty.

Deputy Minister of Public Security Le Quy Vuong said the death of the three officers during the disturbance is a great loss to the public security force and their families.

Party General Secretary, State President Nguyen Phu Trong signed a decision to grant the Feat of Arms Order, first class, and Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc conferred the certificate of national merit to the three officers posthumously.

The Minister of Public Security has also granted promotion to the officers. — VNS

Most rioters in land dispute in Dong Tam charged with murder

Most rioters in land dispute in Dong Tam charged with murder

As many as 22 people have been charged with either murder or resisting arrest in the fallout from a land dispute that left three police officers and one rioter dead in Dong Tam Commune in Hanoi’s suburban district of My Duc last Thursday.

Three policemen died in Hanoi's Dong Tam disturbance

Three policemen died in Hanoi's Dong Tam disturbance

The Ministry of Public Security has announced that three police officers sacrificed, one person died and another was injured during a disturbance in Dong Tam, My Duc District, Hanoi on January 9 morning.  

 
 

Other News

.
Five death sentences handed down in Van Kinh Duong drug case
Five death sentences handed down in Van Kinh Duong drug case
SOCIETYicon  27/07/2020 

The People’s Court of HCM City on July 27 handed down five death sentences and four terms of life imprisonment to defendants involved in a major drug ring led by Van Kinh Duong.

Chinese students in Australia targeted in virtual kidnapping scam
Chinese students in Australia targeted in virtual kidnapping scam
SOCIETYicon  27/07/2020 

Students in Australia are coerced into faking their own kidnappings in the extortion scheme.

Coronavirus: Swimming defector was not infected, says S Korea
Coronavirus: Swimming defector was not infected, says S Korea
SOCIETYicon  27/07/2020 

The suspected patient crawled through a drain then swam to North Korea, the South says.

Hanoi shakes after strong earthquake hits Son La Province
Hanoi shakes after strong earthquake hits Son La Province
SOCIETYicon  27/07/2020 

Tall buildings in Hanoi shook as a 5.3-magnitude earthquake hit Son La Province at around 12.14pm local time on Monday.

Vietnam to issue E-VISA to citizens from 80 countries since July
Vietnam to issue E-VISA to citizens from 80 countries since July
SOCIETYicon  27/07/2020 

The Government has issued e-visa to citizens from 80 countries since July 1 this year, according to its latest Resolution No. 79/NQ-CP.

Da Nang falls quiet on first night of latest social distancing order
Da Nang falls quiet on first night of latest social distancing order
SOCIETYicon  27/07/2020 

The first night since the implementation of a new social distancing order has seen restaurants close and streets left deserted throughout Da Nang, with images across the city showing the impact of new COVID-19 cases being detected.

Vietnamese team enjoy big win at European Physics Olympiad 2020
Vietnamese team enjoy big win at European Physics Olympiad 2020
SOCIETYicon  27/07/2020 

A team made up of Vietnamese students achieved success at the European Physics Olympiad 2020 in Satu Mare, Romania, winning one gold, one silver, and two bronze medals.

Hanoi tops nation in literate rate among people aged above 15
Hanoi tops nation in literate rate among people aged above 15
SOCIETYicon  27/07/2020 

Up to 99.2 percent of Hanoians aged above 15 are literate, the highest level among the country’s 63 provinces and cities, according to a report of the municipal Party Committee on the city’s education and training.

Vietnam hailed for wise investment in health care
Vietnam hailed for wise investment in health care
SOCIETYicon  27/07/2020 

Wise investment in health care is one of the factors leading to Vietnam’s spectacularly effective COVID-19 response, said an article published on the Japan Times on July 26.

Nearly 80,000 tourists remain stranded in Da Nang
Nearly 80,000 tourists remain stranded in Da Nang
SOCIETYicon  27/07/2020 

It is estimated that there are roughly 80,000 passengers traveling to and from the central city of Da Nang, 

Hundreds donate blood to save Quang Binh accident victims
Hundreds donate blood to save Quang Binh accident victims
SOCIETYicon  27/07/2020 

Hundreds of volunteers have come to a hospital in the central province of Quang Binh to donate blood to save victims of a tragic traffic accident.

12 more people suspected of having covid-19 in Danang
12 more people suspected of having covid-19 in Danang
SOCIETYicon  27/07/2020 

Danang has recorded 12 new suspected cases of Covid-19 infection, according to acting Minister of Health Nguyen Thanh Long.

Hanoi tightens foreign entry as community coronavirus infections found
Hanoi tightens foreign entry as community coronavirus infections found
SOCIETYicon  27/07/2020 

People upon entry will have to be quarantined and tested for SARS-CoV-2 at least twice.

Vietnam to set up at least 10,000 more quarantine rooms
Vietnam to set up at least 10,000 more quarantine rooms
SOCIETYicon  27/07/2020 

Following the prime minister’s directive over the need to set up at least 10,000 more quarantine rooms,

HCMC accelerates site clearance for second metro line project
HCMC accelerates site clearance for second metro line project
SOCIETYicon  27/07/2020 

As the site clearance for HCMC’s second metro line project has fallen behind schedule, districts covered under the project such as Tan Binh, 10 and 12 have now begun accelerating the process.

Chinese national arrested for illegally bringing foreigners to Vietnam
Chinese national arrested for illegally bringing foreigners to Vietnam
SOCIETYicon  26/07/2020 

A Chinese national was arrested in Da Nang City as he brought foreigners to Viet Nam illegally, confirmed Major General Vu Xuan Vien, Director of the Da Nang Municipal Police Department.

How a Chinese agent used LinkedIn to hunt for targets
How a Chinese agent used LinkedIn to hunt for targets
SOCIETYicon  27/07/2020 

Dickson Yeo, a PhD student-turned-agent, targeted Americans that had access to private information.

North Korea on alert over 'first suspected coronavirus case'
North Korea on alert over 'first suspected coronavirus case'
SOCIETYicon  26/07/2020 

State media say a defector who returned from South Korea has Covid-19 symptoms.

Airlines to increase flights departing from Da Nang: CAAV
Airlines to increase flights departing from Da Nang: CAAV
SOCIETYicon  26/07/2020 

The Civil Aviation Authority of Vietnam (CAAV) will soon grant permission to airlines to maximise number of flights leaving the central city of Da Nang amid new developments of the COVID-19 pandemic, 

Vietnam: Two more found positive for coronavirus, taking total count to 420
Vietnam: Two more found positive for coronavirus, taking total count to 420
SOCIETYicon  26/07/2020 

Two more people, one from Quang Ngai and another from Da Nang, were found infected with the novel coronavirus on July 26 afternoon, raising the nation's total COVID-19 infections to 420, the Ministry of Health announced.

 
 
 
Leave your comment on an article

OR QUICK LOGIN