The International Criminal Court (ICC) on
Monday denied that it had agreed that Saif Islam Gaddafi, son of former Libyan
leader Muammar Gaddafi, could be tried in Libya.
Fadi El-Abdallah, spokseman for the ICC, told Xinhua Monday that the judges of
the court had not yet made a desicion on the matter.
According to El-Abdallah, the ICC received answers to the questions regarding
the current situation of Saif Islam Gaddafi on Monday from the Libyan
authorities.
"Indeed, the Libyan authorities submitted a confidential response to the ICC
judges' questions," he said, "But the judges did not issue any decision with
regard to the case against Mr. Gaddafi after that."
Earlier on Monday, Libyan Minister of Justice Ali Humaida Ashour told reporters
that the ICC had accepted that Saif Islam Gaddafi could face justice in Libya.
"The judges will consider the Libyan submission and, if the judges deem
appropriate, make a decision on the issue," El-Abdallah added.
ICC issued an arrest warrant for Saif Islam Gaddafi on June 27, 2011. He was
indicted with crimes against humanity against the Libyan people. On November 19
of the same year, Saif Islam was arrested in southern Libya.
VietNamNet/Xinhuanet