VietNamNet Bridge – Two people died and two others fainted because of poison gas in a well in Dien Khanh district of Khanh Hoa province on June 18.


The well where the accident occured.

On the morning of June 18, Mr. Nguyen Thanh Cong, 66, a resident of Luong Phuoc village in Binh Dien Commune, Dien Khanh District jumped into the well behind his home to pick up leaves to clean up the well. When he went down near the bottom of the well, Cong was suffocated and fainted.

Hearing the shout of Cong’s daughter, Mr. Pham Ngoc Dung, 43, a neighbor immediately jumped into the well to save Cong but he was also fainted in the well.

After that, Dung’s younger brother, Pham Ngoc Thai, 34, was into the same situation.

Few minutes later, Mr. Nguyen Sinh, 39, who was working on the nearby field went to help. Sinh was dropped into the well by a rope tied on his stomach. Sinh took three men out of the well one by one.

The three victims were brought to the Hospital of Khanh Hoa Province. On the way to the hospital, Cong and Dung died. Thai is now in critical condition.

After saving the three victims from the well, Sinh also had breathing troubles and was taken to the local clinic for treatment.

It is said that the well is not deep (about 7 meters), but there are a lot of leaves in the well. The leaves created methane, causing the tragic accident.

Mai Lan