This morning, January 31, the first meeting of the 13th Party Central Committee elected the Politburo, the General Secretary, the Secretariat, the Central Inspection Committee, and the Chairman of the Central Inspection Committee.
Party leaders present flowers and congratulate General Secretary and President Nguyen Phu Trong.
General Secretary and State President Nguyen Phu Trong was re-elected as General Secretary for the new term. This is the third time he has been elected to be the General Secretary by the Party Central Committee and the sixth time he has been elected to key positions.
Specifically, on June 26, 2006, Mr. Nguyen Phu Trong - Party Secretary of Hanoi at that time, was elected as the Chairman of the 11th National Assembly. The following term, he was re-elected as National Assembly Chairman of the 12th term on July 23, 2007.
On January 19, 2011, the 11th Party Central Committee elected him the General Secretary for the 2011-2015 term. Since then, he has been continuously elected to be the General Secretary for three consecutive tenures: 11th, 12th and 13th.
On October 23, 2018, he was elected by the 14th National Assembly as the President of Vietnam for the term 2016 - 2020 until now.
Mr. Nguyen Phu Trong was born on April 14, 1944. His hometown is Dong Hoi commune, Dong Anh district, Hanoi. He is Professor, Doctor of Politics (majoring in Party Construction) and also holds bachelor degree of literature.
Biography of Party General Secretary
Date of birth: April 14, 1944
Day to Party: December 19, 1967
Native place: Dong Hoi Commune, Dong Anh District, Hanoi
- 1963-1967: Student at the Philology Faculty of the University of Han Noi (now the Vietnam National University – Hanoi).
- December 1967- July 1968: Officer at the Documentation Desk of the Study Review (now the Communist Review)
- July 1968 - August 1973: Officer of the Party Building Department of the Communist Review; experiencing a period of internship in Thanh Oai District, Ha Tay Province (now Hanoi) in 1971; Secretary of the Ho Chi Minh Communist Youth Union cell of the Communist Review from 1969 to 1973
- August 1973 – April 1976: Undergoing a political-economic post-graduate course at the High-level Nguyen Ai Quoc Party School (now the Ho Chi Minh National Academy of Politics), member of the executive board of the Party cell
- May 1976 - August 1980: Editorial staff of the Party Building Department of the Communist Review, Deputy Secretary of the Party cell
- September 1980 - August 1981: Study Russian language at the High-level Nguyen Ai Quoc Party School (now the Ho Chi Minh National Academy of Politics)
- September 1981 - July 1983: Intern and defending Associate PhD thesis (now PhD thesis) at the Party Building Department of the Academy of Social Sciences of the Soviet Union
- August 1983 - February 1989: Deputy head of the Party Building Department, the Communist Review (October 1983); head of the Party Building Department, the Communist Review (September 1987); Deputy Secretary of the Party Committee of the Communist Review (July 1985-December 1988) and Secretary of the Party Committee of the Communist Review (December 1988-December 1991)
- March 1989 – April 1990: Member of the Editorial Board of the Communist Review
- May 1990 – July 1991: Deputy Editor-in-Chief of the Communist Review
- August 1991 – August 1996: Editor-in-Chief of the Communist Review
- January 1994: Elected as a member of the Communist Party of Vietnam’s Central Committee at the mid-term national conference in the 7th tenure
- June 1996: Reelected as a member of the Party Central Committee at the 8th National Party Congress
- August 1996 - February 1998: Deputy Secretary of the Hanoi Party Committee, head of the Hanoi Party Committee’s Popularization and Education Board
- December 1997: Elected as a member of the 8th Political Bureau at the 4th meeting of the 8th Party Central Committee
- February 1998 - January 2000: In charge of the Party's ideological-cultural and scientific-educational affairs
- August 1999-April 2001: Joining the standing board of the Political Bureau
- March 1998 - August 2006: Vice Chairman of the Central Theoretical Council (March 1998-November 2001); Chairman of the Central Theoretical Council, in charge of the Party's theoretical work (November 2001-August 2006)
- January 2000: Secretary of the 12th Ha Noi Municipal Party Committee
- December 2000: Elected as Secretary of the 13th Hanoi Party Committee at the 13th Party Congress of Hanoi city
- April 2001: Reelected as a member of the Party Central Committee and the Political Bureau at the 9th National Party Congress
- May 2002 - now: Deputy of the 11th, 12th, 13th and 14th National Assembly
- December 2005: Elected as Secretary of the 14th Party Committee of Ha Noi (until June 2006) at the 15th Party Congress of the city
- April 2006: Re-elected as a member of the Party Central Committee and the Politburo at the 10th National Party Congress
- June 2006 – July 2011: Chairman of the 11th and 12th National Assembly, Secretary of the National Assembly's Party Organization, and member of the Council for National Defense and Security
- January 2011: Reelected as a member of the Party Central Committee and the Political Bureau, General Secretary of the Party Central Committee at the 11th National Party Congress; Secretary of the Central Military Commission
- February 2013 – present: Head of the Central Steering Committee on Corruption Prevention and Control
- January 2016: Reelected as a member of the Party Central Committee and the Politburo, General Secretary of the Party Central Committee at the 12th National Party Congress; Secretary of the Central Military Commission
- August 2016: Taking part in the Standing Board of the Central Public Security Party Commission of the 2015-2020 tenure.
- October 23, 2018 now: Elected as President of the Socialist Republic of Viet Nam for the 2016-2021 tenure at the 14th National Assembly’s sixth session.
- January 30, 2021: Reelected as a member of the Party Central Committee in the 2021-2026 tenure at the 13th National Party Congress.
- January 31, 2021: Reelected as General Secretary of the Party Central Committee in the 2021-2026 tenure at the first plenum of the 13th Party Central Committee.
Thu Hang – Tran Thuong
Making presentations at the 13th National Party Congress, Secretaries of provincial Party Committees who were born in the 1970s proposed many solutions to develop their localities and the country in general in the coming time.