Vietnam Television’s 7pm news bulletin on August 17 reported on the handling of a traffic accident on Nguyen Huy Tu Street in Hanoi involving a car driven by Nguyen Sy Cuong, former deputy head of the National Assembly’s Committee for Foreign Affairs during its 14th tenure. The crash left one person dead and another injured.

Authorities said the case had been investigated, its cause established and the matter handled in accordance with regulations. Recently, however, authorities said some organizations and individuals had used the case to incite public concern and disrupt security and public order online.

Ảnh màn hình 2026 08 17 lúc 20.12.50.png

The scene of the traffic accident. Photo: Screenshot

The victims were a father and daughter. The daughter died, while her father was injured. His health is now relatively stable.

The case was subsequently handled by the Office of the Investigation Police Agency under the Hanoi Police Department, and the outcome was communicated to the victim’s family.

The accident occurred more than a year ago. Amid renewed discussion online, the father, Do Viet Hung, has spoken publicly about the case.

“First of all, on behalf of my family, I would like to sincerely thank the online community for its concern about the incident and our family,” Hung said. “However, the incident is now behind us, and all matters were resolved very clearly by the investigating authorities. I fully agree with the investigation’s conclusions. We have no complaints, concerns or questions regarding the authorities’ handling of our family’s case.”

Ảnh màn hình 2026 08 17 lúc 20.12.56.png
Do Viet Hung, the surviving victim in the crash. Photo: Screenshot

During the investigation, units of the Hanoi Police Department coordinated with the Hanoi People’s Procuracy to examine the scene and vehicle traces, determine the direction of the collision and take statements from those involved.

Investigators concluded that the crash resulted from Cuong driving in the wrong lane and on the wrong section of the road.

Ảnh màn hình 2026 08 17 lúc 20.13.06.png
Colonel Nguyen Duc Long, deputy director of the Hanoi Police Department. Photo: Screenshot

Colonel Nguyen Duc Long, deputy director of the Hanoi Police Department, said that after comprehensively assessing the documents and evidence collected, investigators determined that Cuong had violated road traffic regulations under Clause 1, Article 260 of Vietnam’s Penal Code.

“Nguyen Sy Cuong truthfully admitted his conduct and actively worked to remedy the consequences,” Long said. “These actions were acknowledged by the victim’s family, which submitted a request for him to be exempted from criminal liability. The family also asked the authorities to conclude the case soon so they could stabilize their lives.”

Long said testing conducted during the investigation found no alcohol in Cuong’s system. Cuong also held a valid driving license as required by law.

Based on the documents and evidence collected, and following an objective and comprehensive assessment against relevant legal provisions, investigators concluded that Cuong met the conditions for exemption from criminal liability.

Ảnh màn hình 2026 08 17 lúc 20.13.19.png
Ngo Hong Son, deputy chief prosecutor of the Hanoi People’s Procuracy. Photo: Screenshot

Ngo Hong Son, deputy chief prosecutor of the Hanoi People’s Procuracy, said prosecutors were assigned to coordinate with investigators and other relevant agencies in examining the scene and collecting evidence immediately after the crash.

“With regard to the procedural decisions made by the Investigation Police Agency under the Hanoi Police Department, the Hanoi People’s Procuracy conducted its supervisory review and found that the decisions had sufficient grounds and complied with the law,” Son said.

Ảnh màn hình 2026 08 17 lúc 20.13.28.png
Lawyer Nguyen Hong Bach of Hong Bach and Associates Law Firm. Photo: Screenshot

Lawyer Nguyen Hong Bach of Hong Bach and Associates Law Firm said the relevant legal provisions are applied nationwide and not solely to this particular case.

“All traffic accidents must be handled in this manner,” Bach said. “When an incident occurs, investigators must examine the actual circumstances, the conduct involved and what happened at the scene. Where a case falls under Clause 1, Article 260, the authorities conducting the proceedings will consider the legally prescribed conditions to determine whether an exemption from criminal liability can be applied.”

According to Bach, Vietnamese law allows an exemption from criminal liability in such circumstances. When the person responsible for an accident fully satisfies the conditions prescribed by law, the competent authorities can apply those provisions.

The Ministry of Public Security said the accident on Nguyen Huy Tu Street had been handled by the relevant authorities in accordance with legal procedures and regulations, and that the victim’s family agreed with the outcome.

The ministry said, however, that misleading information about this case and several other administrative and criminal matters had recently been circulated online with the aim of causing public confusion.

Ảnh màn hình 2026 08 17 lúc 20.13.46.png
Major General Nguyen Quoc Toan, chief of office and spokesperson for the Ministry of Public Security. Photo: Screenshot

Major General Nguyen Quoc Toan, chief of office and spokesperson for the Ministry of Public Security, said authorities had detected what they described as dangerous attempts by hostile and reactionary actors, including Viet Tan, to link a series of separate incidents in an effort to influence and mobilize young people, students and university students in ways that could disrupt security and public order.

Toan urged the public to remain vigilant. People, particularly young internet users, should develop greater resilience when navigating the digital environment, avoid sharing unverified information and be cautious about being drawn into activities that could disrupt security and public order or violate the law, he said.

Hung said his family had gradually recovered over the past year and that their lives were slowly returning to normal. The family hopes the matter can now be brought to a close so they can move forward.

“I also hope the online community will let the matter rest and remain clear-headed, so that everyone understands and complies with the law and is not drawn into unlawful activities,” Hung said.

The case occurred more than a year ago and the victim’s family has made no further complaint or request. Yet it has recently generated extensive analysis and commentary across social media platforms. The renewed attention underlines the importance of caution and verification when consuming and sharing information online.

Dinh Hieu