South Korean President Lee Myung-bak said Monday that the country leaves a "window of opportunity" open for the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) as the situation on the Korean peninsula enters a "new turning point" after the death of DPRK's former leader Kim Jong Il.
"The most important goals for us at the moment are peace and stability on the Korean peninsula," Lee said in a nationally televised New Year's address. "We are leaving a window of opportunity open."
He said that the two Koreas could open a new era in inter- Korean relations if the DPRK shows a sincere attitude.
Lee stressed that there could be a resumption of the stalled six-party talks aimed at ending Pyongyang's nuclear program if the DPRK halts its ongoing nuclear activities.
The six-party nuclear talks, which involve the two Koreas, China, Japan, Russia and the United States, have been dormant since late 2008.
He also warned that South Korean will "strongly respond" to any provocation from the DPRK.
Lee's remarks came after the DPRK's powerful National Defense Commission warned the South and the rest of the world last week not to expect a change in its policy under the new leader, Kim Jong Un. "We declare solemnly and confidently that foolish politicians around the world, including the puppet forces in South Korea, that they should not expect any changes from us," the commission said. It also said there would no dealings with South Korea's Lee Myung-bak government.
VietNamNet/Xinhuanet