Vietnam was in control of the COVID-19 epidemic with no new cases reported since February 13, said experts at a conference on Wednesday in Hanoi.
|The Military Region 7 Command on Wednesday held a COVID-19 prevention and control drill, in which people coming from affected areas were sterilised twice and had their temperatures checked. — VNA/VNS Photo Thanh Vu|
The lockdown on Son Loi Commune – the centre of the epidemic in Vietnam – was officially lifted at midnight on Wednesday.
Speaking at the conference, Associate Professor Luong Ngoc Khue, director of the Medical Services Administration under the Ministry of Health, said although no new cases had been detected, medical forces still had to focus on preventive measures with the priority given to early detection and quarantine.
Regarding flights from South Korea to Vietnam, Deputy Minister of Transport Le Anh Tuan said that since 6pm on Tuesday, flights had been allowed to land at Van Don Airport in the northern province of Quang Ninh, and Phu Cat Airport in the central province of Binh Dinh.
However, airlines would continue reducing flights between Vietnam and South Korea.
On the South Korean side, only Asiana Airlines and Korean Air operate routes from Incheon Airport in Seoul to Hanoi, HCM City and Da Nang. Flights from South Korea were only being used to pick up passengers in Vietnam or cargo flights with no passengers on board.
To supervise people entering Vietnam, the Vietnam National Administration of Tourism has asked localities, especially those with airports, to prepare accommodation for quarantine if needed.
As of Wednesday, more than 93,000 COVID-19 patients had been reported in 80 countries and territories around the world, according to the Ministry of Health. China had more than 80,200 patients in all of its 31 provinces and cities.
More than 3,200 fatalities had been reported worldwide, with 2,900 in China.
The northern province of Hoa Binh on Wednesday morning placed 106 people in quarantine after they returned from working or studying in South Korea. One woman who had been visiting relatives was also isolated.
They have been provided with face masks, sterilising solution and leaflets on COVID-19 preventive measures.
The organisers of the global cyber security competition WhiteHat Grand Prix 06 on Wednesday decided to move the final round to May this year to prevent COVID-19 from spreading.
Detailed timing will be announced three weeks beforehand.
The final round will also be held online with the top 10 teams from six countries including the US, South Korea, Russia, India, Germany and Vietnam.
The competition is being organised by the Ministry of Science and Technology and the Vietnamese cyber security community. — VNS
Vietnam has gradually developed an effective treatment plan for coronavirus patients with 15 out of 16 infected cases successfully treated, the Ministry of Health has said.
Luong Ngoc Khue, head of the Health Ministry's Department of Medical Examination and Treatment, talks about Vietnam’s methods to effectively deal with COVID-19.