Khanh An Monastery, located in An Phu Dong ward, District 12 is famous for its Asian architecture and lush green space. This is a place where people come to worship and attend short retreats.
Khanh An Monastery stands out with its eye-catching red color and impressive architectural style. It is called "a miniature Japanese corner in the heart of Saigon".
Initially, this was a small temple built by Abbot Tri Hien in 1905. During the resistance war against the French, this was once a gathering place for many patriotic soldiers and was repeatedly burned by the French army.
During the 2000s, the monastery was repaired many times. On July 27, 2007, Khanh An Monastery was recognized by the People's Committee of Ho Chi Minh City as a historical-cultural relic. The monastery was completed as it is now in 2016.
The monastery is made up of main colors such as: gray of tiles, reddish brown of bricks, white of lime, yellow - the color of patterns symbolizing copper material... Khanh An Monastery does not have images of dragons, phoenixes or colorful decorative motifs like many other temples in the South of Vietnam because this originally belongs to royal culture.
Some areas in the monastery remind people of Japanese temples for its wooden structure or imitation wood structure.
The monastery has a large campus with many trees. Around the campus, there are hexagonal lamps made of wood and paper.
This place attracts many tourists. Khanh An Monastery is also famous for its regular retreat sessions, attracting from 500 to 1,000 attendees each, and regular charity and volunteer activities to help the disadvantaged.
Some pictures of the Khanh An Monastery: