Vietnam's national team have urged fans to remain calm at this week's match, despite some being attacked by Malaysia supporters during the first leg of the AFF Suzuki Cup 2014 semi final at Shah Alam Stadium in Selangor at the weekend.

relate news

A section of Malaysian fans threw bottles and attacked Vietnamese fans after Vietnam beat Malaysia on December 7 to win the first leg of the AFF Suzuki Cup semi-final round.

Malaysia’s Youth and Sports Minister, Khairy Jamaluddin, has apologised to Vietnamese supporters for the incident.

"These violent fans do not represent Malaysia," Jamaluddin said. "My sincere apologies on behalf of Malaysia for the actions of these small number of irresponsible thugs."

The two teams will meet again in the second semi-final round on December 11, to be held in Hanoi. Vietnam needs only a draw to advance to the finals.

Football officials are concerned some Vietnamese fans may seek revenge, and security and safety have been made a priority at My Dinh Stadium.

Vietnam Captain Cong Vinh said the violence was regrettable. 

"I've also heard about some extreme rumours about what our fans might do," he said. "I hope this is only a minority of our fans and there will be no violence.

"Please come cheer for us, but more importantly, let's show our guests our hospitality and our passion. Only then, we will have a truly meaningful victory."

Player Hoang Thinh asked fans to support the team and fair play, both in the stands and on the field.

After the 2-1 victory over the host Malaysia on December 7, the Vietnam national football team returned home yesterday, December 8, happy to see the huge number of fans waiting to welcome.

Some photos of the team at Tan Son Nhat international airport in HCM City before flying to Hanoi to prepare for the second leg at My Dinh on December 11:

Coach Miura among Vietnamese fans.


Cong Vinh poses photos with his big fans



Middlefield Nguyen Van Quyet signs for fans.


Vietnamese team was warmly welcomed home from Malaysia.