AI-based technology used in genetic analysis

Gene analysis is the use of DNA (Deoxyribo Nucleic Acid) in the cells of human body to identify genetic factors such as physical conditions and disease risk in each person.

Phuong My, 32, in Phu Nhuan district, HCM City, is one of the clients of Genetica, a company that provides gene analysis service.

AI-based technology used in genetic analysis



“I use the gene analysis service to find out what my child’s real abilities are, so as to orient him to suitable disciplinary fields. The analysis also tells me about the physical conditions of my child which helps me understand what I have to do to improve his health,” My explained.

Many parents in HCM City have heard about Genetica and its G-K Brite, the genetic decoding service.

Genetic testing can provide information about individuals’ physical, nutritional conditions and intellectual health. Genes make up 30 percent of the formation and growth of an individual, while the remaining 70 percent depends on the environment in which the the individual grows up. 

According to Tran Nguyen from Genetica, genetic testing can provide information about individuals’ physical, nutritional conditions and intellectual health.

Genes make up 30 percent of the formation and growth of an individual, while the remaining 70 percent depends on the environment in which the the individual grows up. 

 


It is easy to take ADN samples for testing and the work can be done at home. The technology is believed to have high accuracy level of 99 percent. Genetica’s system now can work with 5,760 samples each week.

The samples, after taken, will be preserved and sent to the laboratory of the Center of Advanced Technologies belonging to California University in San Francisco, the US, where genetic analysis and sequencing will be implemented. The results after 6-8 weeks will be provided to clients.

Genetica, the technology of sequencing genes with AI, is developed by a Vietnamese scientist, Dr Cao Anh Tuan from Cornell University.

Tuan is a former engineer of Google, while his partners are experts with more than 10-years of experience in genetics from US prestigious schools.

Tuan said it is our job to become not only more active in healthcare but also more precise to each patient.

In 2019, Genetica in Vietnam signed cooperation agreements with some partners including the American International Hospital, D-Fit Company and Thanh Chan Medical Company on the provision of gene decoding service.

According to Tuan, gene analysis technology has been certified by Illumina, the No 1 gene sequencing organization in the world.

In mid-2019, Genetica Talk conference was held in Vietnam which attracted more than 100 participants from hospitals, schools, healthcare centers, sports centers, and loyal customers of Genetica in Vietnam.

Chi Hieu 

Vietnamese students win high prizes at int’l invention show

Vietnamese students win high prizes at int’l invention show

Vietnamese students brought home two gold and one silver medals and two special prizes at the International Invention Show (INOVA) 2019, which recently took place in Croatia, announced the Hanoi Department of Education and Training.

Vietnamese scientists carry out genome sequencing to diagnose rare diseases

Vietnamese scientists carry out genome sequencing to diagnose rare diseases

Scientists of the Genome Research Institute under the Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology are contributing to the accurate diagnosis of five rare diseases by using next-generation gene sequencing technology.

 
 

Other News

.
PlayStation 5: Sony gives first look at the PS5 console and games
PlayStation 5: Sony gives first look at the PS5 console and games
SCI-TECH & ENVIRONMENTicon  12/06/2020 

Dozens of games were teased including a return to the Spider-Man, Horizon and Gran Turismo franchises.

Bkav unveils plans to produce low-cost 4G smart phones
Bkav unveils plans to produce low-cost 4G smart phones
SCI-TECH & ENVIRONMENTicon  12/06/2020 

Bkav has announced plans to produce the Bkav-C85 smart phone series to support 4G connectivity at a price of less than VND1 million (US$43) as the firm strives to reach the goal of universal 4G phones in the near future.

Schools could be forced to close on ‘bad air’ days
Schools could be forced to close on ‘bad air’ days
SCI-TECH & ENVIRONMENTicon  11/06/2020 

Vietnam may order schools to shut down on days when the air quality is poor, according to the draft law revising the 2014 Law on Environment Protection.

Mobile network operators agree to share 1,200 transceiver stations
Mobile network operators agree to share 1,200 transceiver stations
SCI-TECH & ENVIRONMENTicon  11/06/2020 

Four mobile network operators of Viettel, Vinaphone, MobiFone and Gtel signed an agreement in Hanoi on June 10 to share about 1,200 base transceiver stations (BTS).

George Floyd: Amazon bans police use of facial recognition tech
George Floyd: Amazon bans police use of facial recognition tech
SCI-TECH & ENVIRONMENTicon  11/06/2020 

The move comes after IBM ended its facial recognition activities amid concerns over racial bias.

Nearly 1,500 cyber attacks hit Vietnam’s information systems
Nearly 1,500 cyber attacks hit Vietnam’s information systems
SCI-TECH & ENVIRONMENTicon  11/06/2020 

Nearly 1,500 cyber attacks were recorded on information systems in Vietnam in the first five months of 2020, a year-on-year decline of 43.9 percent, according to the Department of Information Security.

Facebook, MPI join hands in tourism promotion
Facebook, MPI join hands in tourism promotion
SCI-TECH & ENVIRONMENTicon  11/06/2020 

The Ministry of Planning and Investment and Facebook have jointly launched the "Proud Vietnam" project, including the "Immense Vietnam" music video, which aims to promote the country’s tourism.

Conservationists call for elimination of elephant riding tours in Vietnam
Conservationists call for elimination of elephant riding tours in Vietnam
SCI-TECH & ENVIRONMENTicon  13/06/2020 

Riding elephants is a tourism service that exploits animals and poses risks for both visitors and mahouts.

HCM City sees big decrease in street flooding
HCM City sees big decrease in street flooding
SCI-TECH & ENVIRONMENTicon  11/06/2020 

The anti-flooding works carried out in HCM City since 2008 have helped reduce the number of streets that are flooded during moderate to heavy rainfall, according to the city Department of Construction.

Amazon removes T-shirt showing George Floyd death
Amazon removes T-shirt showing George Floyd death
SCI-TECH & ENVIRONMENTicon  10/06/2020 

The T-shirt, available on the US store, broke guidelines about depicting a crime scene.

Hope for pangolins as protection boosted in China
Hope for pangolins as protection boosted in China
SCI-TECH & ENVIRONMENTicon  10/06/2020 

China has removed pangolins from its official list of traditional Chinese medicine treatments, reports say.

Broken section of AAE-1 undersea cable fixed
Broken section of AAE-1 undersea cable fixed
SCI-TECH & ENVIRONMENTicon  10/06/2020 

Repairs to the Asia Africa Europe 1 (AAE-1) undersea cable have been completed, domestic internet service providers said on June 8.

Germany helps Vietnam tap into biomass potential
Germany helps Vietnam tap into biomass potential
SCI-TECH & ENVIRONMENTicon  10/06/2020 

A seminar was held in Hanoi on June 9 to launch a German-funded project on climate protection through developing sustainable bioenergy markets (BEM) in Vietnam, 

VN Central Highlands: easy to close forests, but difficult to bolt the door
VN Central Highlands: easy to close forests, but difficult to bolt the door
SCI-TECH & ENVIRONMENTicon  12/06/2020 

Natural forests have been closed for a few years as per the command from the Prime Minister. However, the forests still continue to disappear.

Hanoi spends VND114 billion on street cleanup
Hanoi spends VND114 billion on street cleanup
SCI-TECH & ENVIRONMENTicon  09/06/2020 

Hanoi authorities have agreed to spend VND114 billion (USD4.95 million) on washing local streets in order to help mitigate air pollution and relieve the scorching heat.

Virtual network developers face big Vietnam task
Virtual network developers face big Vietnam task
SCI-TECH & ENVIRONMENTicon  10/06/2020 

Setting up mobile virtual network operators could be the only chance for newcomers to enter Vietnam’s telecommunications market, but the move could be very risky.

Tesla battery supplier Catl says new design has one million-mile lifespan
Tesla battery supplier Catl says new design has one million-mile lifespan
SCI-TECH & ENVIRONMENTicon  09/06/2020 

Battery-maker Catl says it is ready to make a product that could power a car over 1.2 million miles.

UAE Mars mission: Hope project a 'real step forward for exploration'
UAE Mars mission: Hope project a 'real step forward for exploration'
SCI-TECH & ENVIRONMENTicon  09/06/2020 

The UAE's Hope project is hailed as a "real step forward" for space exploration in the Arab world.

Recruitment demand in IT industry quadruples
Recruitment demand in IT industry quadruples
SCI-TECH & ENVIRONMENTicon  09/06/2020 

The recruitment demand of the IT industry has quadrupled after a decade, according to the report “Information Technology Human Resources of the 2010s and 2020" released by VietnamWorks, 

Youth and Innovation for Ocean initiative launched
Youth and Innovation for Ocean initiative launched
SCI-TECH & ENVIRONMENTicon  09/06/2020 

UNESCO has launched the “Youth and Innovation for Ocean” initiative to promote the role of young people and young scientists in putting forward innovative and practical solutions to reducing, reusing, recycling, 

 
 
 
Leave your comment on an article

OR QUICK LOGIN