The software system for Hanoi’s online public services is still operational after Nhat Cuong Trading and Services Co., Ltd was charged with trading in smuggled mobile phones and other electronic devices, said a Hanoi official.
|Pham Qui Tien, head of the Hanoi government office, speaks at the press briefing. Hanoi’s online public services remain unaffected after Nhat Cuong Mobile was charged with trading in smuggled mobile phones and other electronic devices - PHOTO: NLD|
At a press briefing in Hanoi on May 21, Tien said the Hanoi government had prepared solutions to ensure the safety of the system.
As required by the municipal Party Committee, the Hanoi government and other competent agencies have reviewed all information technology projects in the city executed by Nhat Cuong Trading and Services Co., Ltd, also known as Nhat Cuong Mobile, and other companies.
Some press agencies have inaccurately reported Nhat Cuong Mobile's provision of some online public service solutions to the city, raising misplaced concerns about the city’s leadership, Tien said.
On May 10, the city government asked the Party Central Committee’s Commission for Ideology and Education to direct press agencies to report the case based on the announcements of the Investigative Police Agency at the Ministry of Public Security.
The Investigative Police Agency had earlier broken up the cross-border smuggling ring masterminded by Bui Quang Huy, general director of Nhat Cuong Mobile.
The police had raided Huy’s residence and nine retail stores owned by Nhat Cuong Mobile in Hanoi, seizing papers and thousands of mobile phones, iPads and their electronic accessories. An arrest warrant was issued for Huy and his eight accomplices.
Nhat Cuong Mobile holds VND38 billion (US$1.5 million) in charter capital, of which Huy has a 90% stake.
The police are expanding their probe to identify the roles played by the nine suspects and other relevant individuals. SGT