The move came after 11 students at the Nguyen Quy Duc Secondary School in Nam Tu Liem District suffered food poisoning after eating some sweets with a Chinese label bought from a store near their school on November 29.
They were brought to the Dai Mo Healthcare Centre for treatment suffering from headaches, dizziness, and nausea. Their conditions have improved after two days.
Police at Dai Mo Ward checked the store at Quang Tien Street and seized 66 packs of sweets with green covers and Chinese lettering. There's no information about the importers of the products and it seems that they had been illegally brought from China to Vietnam.
"We've asked concerned agencies to carry out checks at stores near local schools and ban the selling of unknown products," the department said. "Teachers, parents and students can report to local authorities about any stores that sell products of unknown origins so that they can be timely prevented".
Earlier, 34 students in the northern province of Quang Ninh also faced the same symptoms of food poisoning after eating some sweets with Chinese letters on the cover which they bought from a store near their school.
The incident occurred on November 25 and 27 and all the students aged between 12 and 14 had to be sent to hospital. Local authorities have taken the product sample for testing.
According to local authorities, there is no information written in Vietnamese or details about the importers on the products on the packaging.
Local authorities have also asked schools in the area to warn parents and pupils not to buy products of unknown origin.